THE TESTOSTERONE TEST – Erectile dysfunction: Let’s Get This Straight
Here’s an easy exam:
- Erectile dysfunction stinks
- Erectile dysfunction is for old guys
- Erectile dysfunction can give any guy migraines
- Erectile dysfunction is well…a dysfunction to be avoided at all costs.
Let’s see if you got any right:
- To most men
- Not in the least
- Only if you drive yourself worrying about it
- Not if you want to do something about it (and you definitely can)
Erectile Dysfunction. There, we’ve said it.
Erectile dysfunction or ED, is when it is hard to get or keep an erection that’s firm enough for sex. ED affects as many as 30 million men. Most men have problems with erections from time to time. But when this happens more than half of the time, then ED is present. ED can happen when health problems limit blood flow or damage nerves in the penis. ED can also be caused by stress or emotional reasons. ED can be an early warning of a more serious illness. Heart disease, high blood pressure and high blood sugar can all cause ED.
What you really want to believe is that growing old is not the problem. But you can blame your body at any age:
- Not enough blood flows into the penis
Many health issues can reduce blood flow into the penis, such as heart disease, high blood sugar (diabetes), and smoking
- The penis cannot store blood during an erection
A man with this problem cannot keep an erection because blood does not stay trapped in the penis
- Nerve signals from the brain or spinal cord do not reach the penis
Certain diseases, injury or surgery in the pelvic area can harm nerves in the penis
- Men who have diabetes are two to three times more likely to have erectile dysfunction than men who do not have diabetes
- Other conditions that may cause ED include cardiovascular disease, atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries), kidney disease, and multiple sclerosis. These illnesses can impair blood flow or nerve impulses throughout the body.
- Research even suggests that avid cyclists suffer more ED than other athletes. Yep, blame the seats
While the problem could very well be in your body, it could also be in your head. Sex activity needs the mind and body to work together. Emotional or relationship problems can cause or worsen ED. Some emotional issues that can cause ED are:
- Relationship conflicts
- Stress at home or work
- Worry about sexual performance
They can all short circuit the process that leads to an erection. Combine physical and psychological issues and you’re just not going to shake the sheets.
Get it Going Again
There are ways to counter the risks of ED. Start by discussing it with your partner. Try a Mediterranean Diet. Manage your blood pressure. Cut down high cholesterol. Get diabetes under control. If you smoke, quit. If you drink, drink less. Exercise. Don’t use anabolic steroids. Manage stress. Treat sleep apnea. Know your medication side effects. (You’d be surprised at these) And pay attention: at all costs, ignore claims like:
Breaking News: Doctor Reveals The #1 Top Erectile Product That Cures ED Permanently! Best $4.95 ED pill ever seen. #1 best ED natural remedy. #1 top erectile product-user proven to get hard. It would be just plain dysfunctional to buy into a word of it. You need to heal yourself from the inside instead of buying cases of Cialis or vats of Viagra.
Deal with ED ASAP
Erectile dysfunction affects men of all ages, and you can be sure it affects them all negatively. No one is more aware of the scope of the problem than Stephen A. Goldstein M.D., F.A.C.S. at Denver Hormone Health. Dr. Goldstein is at the top of his field in hormone replacement therapy. And erectile dysfunction can, in most cases, point to a hormone imbalance. You probably won’t recognize many of the symptoms of a testosterone imbalance, but you absolutely recognize an important sexual issue like erectile dysfunction. You might feel awkward discussing the issue at all, but Dr. Goldstein puts you immediately at ease. He knows the questions to ask and then with simple tests, knows the treatment plan that is right for you. Not just any plan, but an integrated plan of hormones, exercise and nutrition developed uniquely for you. Don’t let embarrassment keep you from getting back in the game.
Getting rid of ED can be easy. Without question.